Monday, August 2, 2010

Fall Into The Night


Title: Fall Into The Night
Author: P. A. Brown
Publisher: Amber Allure
Publisher URL: http://www.amberquill.com/AmberAllure
ISBN: 978-1-60272-713-7
Genre: {M/M} {M/F} {F/F} Science Fiction, Futuristic
Rating: 4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Scandalous Minx

The death of Terik u Selhdun’s father brings the chance to obtain the position of Ogema of Tiamat, a position those around him never thought he would obtain. Hated and conspired against since he was younger, Selhdun returns still refusing to deny his homosexuality. His actions still ruffle the feathers of his enemies and puts Selhdun is more peril than before.

An expedition seems the perfect way to escape those of the royal family and life at court, but is it enough to save Selhdun from the fate they have prepared for him?

P. A. Brown’s Fall Into The Night takes us to Tiamat and on a trip to Terra (Earth) where Selhdun will meet his fate but still not learn important lessons about the consequences of his actions. I cannot say he was one of my favorite characters. His inability to move beyond his suffering and loss made him susceptible to the will of those around him. There was so much power at his fingertips, but he was unable to wield it effectively or appreciate the few good things in his life. This short-sightedness wasn’t completely Selhdun’s fault.

To say that Selhdun’s father was a hard man would be an understatement. I can understand the necessity to be a strong leader; however his punishments seemed severe for the crimes and intended to invoke fear in those surrounding him. While he may have hoped to obtain obedience and respect, his actions caused insolence and an eternal sore that never completely heal. The acceptance that could have made Selhdun a supreme leader was denied and he became, in instances, as ruthless as those among his family.

This book, at almost six hundred pages, moves at a fast pace and will keep your attention. The story has references to sexual abuse of minors and those instances will allow you to understand why some of the characters have grown up to be so hard, determined and in other cases, a bit twisted when it comes to reality. But for others, their pasts allowed them to learn to find and appreciate love in its most basic of forms. The few books I’ve read by P. A. Brown have never let me down when it comes to finding well fascinating characters and a developed storyline. Fall Into The Night is definitely among the top few that I’ve read. I look forward to seeing what this talent author comes up with next.

2 comments:

P.A.Brown said...

Thanks for the great review. I've always liked dark characters, but I think I outdid myself with Selhdun. But then he's been living in my head for some thirty years.

Scandalous Minx said...

Well I'm happy Seldun escaped. He was dark, and at times I could have shook him hard, but he was a product of his environment so I could only accept him as is. You're welcome... :o)