Monday, October 18, 2010

Lovely Wicked


Title: Lovely Wicked
Author: Kari Gregg
Publisher: Noble Romance Publishing
Publisher URL: https://www.nobleromance.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60592-161-7
Genre: {M/F} {M/F/M} {M/M/F} {M/M} Contemporary
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Rose Nymph

When Mitch McAllister sees Liv Winslow in the trailer park one cold night, all the memories of their dysfunctional shared childhood comes flooding back. The pain and fear he has never really been able to escape, even as an adult, drives him to seek comfort in Liv; a woman whose eyes reflect his feelings with haunting accuracy. It seems Mitch has no trouble separating the scared little girl, who joined him in escaping the torment their families bestowed upon them as kids, from the beautiful, sexual woman just itching to burst forth now. It seems their joint sexual appetite knows no bounds, whether it be performing for an audience, tying each other up, spanking or inviting Mitch’s neighbor Sam into their bed, the pair are loosing themselves to their more basic instincts and loving every minute of it. The trouble with pushing everything but sex out of your consciousness is that it all comes crashing back into the picture eventually and no matter how hard Mitch tries to avoid it, he has to start picking up the pieces. Maybe this time though, he’ll have someone to help put things back together again.

Lovely Wicked is extreme in every sense of the word; from the hot, hard sex between characters who don’t, and won’t, hold back, to a starkly harsh and realistic environment that leaves you with absolutely nowhere to hide. With unnerving brashness, the reader is forced to face some of the worst traits of humanity as we see just what Liv, Mitch and Sam have to deal with. I truly commend the author for creating characters I wanted to believe in; keeping me reading and not turning away from the ugliness because I wanted to see it through to the end with them. That being said, there were moments of true happiness and hope as the characters sought love, comfort and understanding from each other. I was able to understand why the characters did the things they did, even if sometimes I was less than happy about it. I had a love/hate relationship with Mitch as I just wanted to shake him sometimes but I absolutely loved Liv and was protective of her as she got closer to Mitch. Even Sam left me confused but the one thing I was certain of – they needed each other badly. These characters were never meant to be perfect but I was still able to connect with all of them on some level.

I must admit that this was not what I was expecting at all when I first starting reading but the imagery and use of language portrays hope in adversity and I just couldn’t put the book down. There were times I thought things were going to work out okay but others when I couldn’t see a way forward, such was the rollercoaster of emotions. I have never wished for characters to get their happy ending as much as I did while reading this, and for the most part I wasn’t disappointed. Not for the faint of heart, if you want to read something that will hold you captive, turn you on, make you sick, laugh and cry until you aren’t sure what is what anymore, I recommend Lovely Wicked to you.

No comments: