Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Christmas in Flip Flops

Title: Christmas in Flip Flops
Author: A. J. Llewellyn
Publisher: Amber Allure
ISBN: 978-1-61124-228-7
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx 

It’s almost Christmas and life for dental hygienist Devon Callahan is a mess. Because of the economy he’s been jobless for months and unable to find anything permanent. He’s almost out of cash, his credit cards are nearly maxed out and then on the day of a promising job interview, his cell phone gets stolen.  

Luckily the interview goes better than he imagined but if he wants the job, there’s a catch. He has to leave for Waikiki within twenty-four hours, where he’ll be working at Schofield Barracks, giving dental care to US soldiers and their dependents.  

Devon is thrilled to have the job but is worried about what his boyfriend, Manco, is going to say. They are expecting all of Manco’s family from Peru for the holidays and now his plans have changed. Can Devon explain to his lover why this move to Hawaii is a good career move or will it mean he’ll be spending his holiday and the days after, alone. 

Christmas in Flip Flops is A. J. Llewellyn’s new fun and entertaining holiday release.  I must admit that the catchy title and colorful beachfront cover is what first caught my attention but then I read the blurb. I was hooked. Then I started reading and got sucked right in on the opening pages. 

There’s just something about a Christmas story set in beautiful, tropical Hawaii that’s appealing. The descriptions of the island are nicely done, as are the wonderful new friends that help keep Devon occupied in his spare time. I loved that Devon’s job was set at Schofield Barracks and that his patients are servicemen and their families. It allowed the inclusion of a good deal of historical background information. I also got a kick out of the all the hard to pronounce Hawaiian street names…and how often Devon got lost as he tried to navigate around the island.   

Overall I found the premise to be realistic; the setting beautifully described, and the dialogue fun and snappy. But at heart it’s a romance about Devon missing his man. I have to say that initially I wasn’t too impressed with Manco or his snarly attitude, but I came around after an unexpected twist brings them back together. So, whether or not your winter means snow on the ground, give this holiday release a try. I enjoyed it and I think you will to.

No comments: