Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tainted Soul

Title: Tainted Soul
Author: Sam C. Leonhard
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN: 9781613722398
Genre: {M/M} Fantasy Paranormal Sequel
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx 

Private Investigator Gabriel Jordan’s living in a nice house with a partner he loves, his business is successful and he’s happy…or at least he should be. Except now he’s having sudden urges to cheat on his beautiful fae lover and he’s hearing voices. Why can’t he talk to Aleksei instead of fleeing from the life they’ve built together? 

Someone is calling him, he doesn’t know why and it’s driving him crazy. As Gabriel struggles with his tumultuous feelings, the portals to the hidden worlds become dangerously unstable. The fear lingers and the hateful, persistent voice makes him angry. Nothing seems to help the feelings of panic that threaten to overpower him and turning into his wolf isn’t enough to keep Gabriel safe…maybe nothing is.      

Tainted Soul is the newest release by Sam C. Leonhard. It follows Tainted Blood, which was published almost 18 months ago, so it would be recommended to read it first. Truthfully it’s been so long I don’t remember the details of the initial book and I’ve done fine with just a brief skimming of Tainted Blood to get me up to speed. Please note: there is one BDSM scene. 

Let me say first off that this one’s much darker with a more complicated plot than the original release. The story’s well-written, has a steady flow and is filled with all sorts of interesting mythical and ancient beings. There’s action, danger, passion, love, some family conflict with Aleksei’s annoying sister and even runes and spells. What more could I ask for? Maybe the introduction on another new character…a dragon, who throws several twists and turns into the story. 

I love the idea of moving between worlds via portals and that Gabe could fashion new runes, which is supposed to be impossible. That’s just one example of a creative nugget interspersed throughout the book that I really enjoyed. I never knew what to expect from one chapter to the next, so I was certainly kept on my ‘reading toes.’ I admit that there were a few times I didn’t know where the author was going with the story but in the end all the plot threads were skillfully tied together in a believable manner, leaving me with only the question of whether there would be a third book following Gabe, Aleksei and…that part will have to stay a secret.

No comments: