Saturday, May 12, 2012

Pet’s Pleasure

Title:  Pet’s Pleasure
Author:  Zenobia Renquist
Publisher:  Ellora’s Cave
ISBN/BIN: 9781419936524
Genre:  {M/F}  Futuristic, Sci-Fi
Rating:  3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer:  Amethyst Nymph 

Starling woke up cold and naked in a room full of strangers with no memory of how she got there.  The abnormally giant men spoke a language that she couldn’t understand, but Starling understood one thing.  This new planet was now her prison.  Starling’s captors were vague about their plans for her, but when she saw her human companions being collared, it all made sense.  Starling was now a pet. 

The only way King Bekion can protect Starling is by making her his pet, even though he is against owning humans.  As he spends more time with Starling, Bekion has trouble following the law of his own kingdom that makes owner and pet sex a big no-no.  She’s the most amazing woman he’s ever come across.  Juggling the burden of duty and desire turns out to be harder than he thought.   

The power struggle between Starling and Bekion doesn’t go unnoticed, nor does the fact that they are both hot for each other.  Looking at the big picture, Bekion and Starling can only be together behind closed doors.  A pet can never be queen and a king can’t marry his pet.  Bekion’s plans to keep Starling safe go wrong and draws too much attention to their relationship.  Just when it seems like the couple will be torn apart, they finally find a way to be united in the most unexpected way. 

Bekion’s mother and brother are the cause of Starling’s abduction.  They both annoyed me right from the beginning.  I couldn’t help but feel sorry for Bekion, because it seems he spends his days cleaning up their messes.  His mother’s choice of a companion for Starling had me laughing out loud.  The antics that go on seemed so much like child behavior at the playground that I had to remind myself that the major difference between the aliens and humans was their size.  Certain moments I saw as a painful reminder that Starling was a pet.  I even found myself getting jealous when Bekion started showing interest in another woman.  I knew what was expected of him as king, but that didn’t make it any easier to accept.  The end worked out the only way it could,  I think.  Part of me was happy about it, while part of me still wanted more.  Pet’s Pleasure puts a different spin on forbidden love.  It made me consider things I could or couldn’t deal with in a relationship.  Love might not be able to conquer all but it does make you change your priorities.  This story has some memorable characters and I know readers will walk away with strong opinions and images etched in their minds.

No comments: