Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hawaiian Gothic

Title: Hawaiian Gothic
Author: Heidi Belleau & Violetta Vane
Publisher: Loose Id
Publisher’s URL:
ISBN/BIN:  9781611188592
Genre: {M/M}, Paranormal, Multicultural
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph 

Running from his feelings for his best friend, Ori leaves Hawaii, never realizing how much his decision will affect both him and Kalani.   When Kalani is attacked, the men’s lives change once again.  Returning to Hawaii brings Ori more questions than answers and once again leaves things up in the air. 

Hawaiian Gothic is an interesting story and I get the feeling it is going to be one of those that readers either really like or really hate.  This story is more than just about the two main characters. In fact, it centers around the relationship of several of the secondary characters as well and these relationships play a big part in the story.  In order to get all the background in, the authors jump back and forth in time, which became annoying at times for me, although I understood why they did it.  While I found all the characters interesting, I wish the authors would have spent more time on Ori and Kalani and I felt slightly cheated on that front.   

As for the metaphysical portion of the story, the authors did an outstanding job.  I was pulled in almost from the beginning and could not figure out how the authors planned to wrap all the individual plot lines up.  There were many twists and turns, a couple of which I did not see coming, but thought they helped make the story.   

Hawaiian Gothic was my introduction to these two authors and I am interested to see what else they plan to bring the readers.

No comments: