Thursday, September 13, 2012


Title: Cleave
Author: Mickie B. Ashling
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN/BIN:  9781613725153
Genre: {M/M}, BDSM, Series
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph

Sloan has moved forward in his relationship with Trent, but still he wants more.  When his ex, Cole, calls, is the connection he has with Trent strong enough to last or will he finding himself going back to Cole?

Mickie B. Aishling’s series Cutting Cords started with the first book by the same name.  The book introduced the readers to main characters, Sloan and Cole.  Both men had issues that leant a lot of angst to the story, yet I could not help being drawn to them and when the story ended was glad to see them find some happiness.  The second story in this series, Vessel, was even more angst-ridden and, to be honest, made me feel as if I had wasted my time reading the first story.  When I saw that the author had added another story to this series, I was not sure if I wanted to be drawn back into this world.

I started Cleave with mixed feelings, unsure if I wanted Sloan to return to Cole, or stay with Trent, who I couldn’t decide if I liked or not.  When this story starts, Cole and Sloan have been separated for nine months and, while Cole is preparing for the death of his father and the birth of his twin sons, Sloan has moved on with his life as a famous model and sub to Trent.  Like the first two stories, Cleave is full of angst almost from the beginning.  Cole is thrown into turmoil by the death of his father and birth of his sons.  Cole hopes the upheaval in his life will bring Sloan back to him, and I was surprised by the way Cole seems to think Sloan will come running back, overlooking his own mistakes in the destruction of their relationship. 

As for Sloan, it is easy to see that, of the two men, he has grown the most, finally coming to terms with what he needs to be happy.  His relationship with Trent has evolved from the last book, yet that does not mean things always move smoothly for them, especially when Cole returns to Sloan’s life.  I was amazed by the way Sloan was there for Cole, given the way the other man treated their relationship.  As the book progressed, I began to like Trent more and more.  The way he treated Sloan, showing the young man what it is like to come first in a relationship, had me realizing that he was the one for Sloan.

While, at times, this series made me more than a little angry, I am glad that I stuck with it and believe fans of this author are sure to love this latest addition to the Cutting Cords series. 

No comments: