Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Impulse


Title: Impulse
Author: Moira Rogers
Publishers: Samhain Publishing
ISBN: 978-1-60928-767-2
Genre: {M/F} Contemporary Paranormal Series
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx

Sera Sinclaire’s a coyote shifter and a submissive, and it’s gotten her in trouble more than once. This time it’s landed her in New Orleans, a city full of dominant wolves and their powerful personalities makes it hard to be self-reliant since her friends keep trying to protect her. That’s particularly true of one sexy alpha, Julio Mendoza, who makes her blood simmer and who calms her wounded soul.

Julio’s a strong wolf and a member of the Southeast council. After suffering a trauma months before, his empathic shrink insists he needs a vacation and when Sera’s abusive ex-husband shows up, Julio decides to take her along. Away from the duties of his pack job, Julio and Sera relax, flirt and seduce each other. Not everyone is happy with their growing relationship and some would kill to keep them apart. Can Julio protect the woman he loves—even from dangerous members of his own family?

Impulse is the latest release in Moira Rogers’ Southern Arcana series and due to the recurring characters and ongoing storyline, I recommend the books be read in order.

I really enjoyed the detailed world-building and the numerous returning characters in this series. I have to admit I’m a sucker for series in general and getting to know individuals as they change from interesting secondarys to story leads. Julio is one such person and I never expected that the trauma he experienced in the last book would lead to him seeing a shrink. I don’t think I’ve ever read of a shifter needing one. It’s a twist I didn’t expect and I love it. The same goes for Sera. She has some issues, which I won’t name, that caught me by surprise. The authors did a nice job developing the back stories and personalities of both these individuals and while they’re shifters, it certainly made them more human and relatable.

The story is well-written, fast-paced, has a good continuation of the plot line and ends with plenty of action and drama that ties up several of the leftover dangling threads. And I forgot to mention there’s lot of emotional upset for Sera and plenty of sizzling hot sex. I don’t know what direction the series is going next but I anxiously await the next release.

No comments: