Thursday, October 17, 2013

Cast Off

Title: Cast Off
Author: KC Burn
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-62798-130-9
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary Series
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx

Rick Haviland doesn’t do relationships. Ever.  He has close friends, but his painful past keeps him from letting any guy become more than a casual hook-up. Then he meets Ian O’Donnell and all his rules go flying right out the window.

Ian’s hidden the secret of his sexual orientation from his Catholic family since he was a teenager and he’s tired of it. He wants someone special of his own and when he meets Rick, their attraction is sizzling. It doesn’t take long and Ian’s out of the closet, Rick is breaking his own rules and they’re in a relationship, of sorts. Someone isn’t happy about it and that person is waiting, watching and willing to expose secrets to keep them apart. Will it work or not?

Cast Off is the newest release in KC Burn’s series, Toronto Tales. It’s possible to read as a standalone but due to the recurring characters, I suggest reading in order of publication.

Where to start? I guess at the beginning I can honestly say I wasn’t too fond of either Rick or Ian. Rick came across as a user and it wasn’t until much later, when his past is explained in great detail that I understood what drove him to act as he did. And Ian—he seemed rather whiney. It took me some time to warm up to them. Yes, they had rather well-developed personalities but neither was one I’d want as a friend.   

There’s also lots of angst. I mean a lot from both of them and it’s repetitive, but at least there’s some laughs in there too. That’s not all. There’s also a bit of a mystery that deserved to be taken more seriously. Rick’s not an idiot but to brush aside slashed tires and dead squirrels is just nuts, especially when his friend’s honey is a cop. Despite my niggles, I did enjoy it. The pacing’s smooth, the imagery vivid, and the plot threads are wrapped up by the end. Oh and I can’t forget the sex—it’s sizzling and frequent. 

No comments: