Monday, January 20, 2014

Jurassic Heart

Author: Anna Martin
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-62798-227-6
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx

Paleontologist Nick Eisenberg has long dreamed of finding Velociraptor bones in North America. When he learns of a possible find, he leaves London and quickly catches a plane to the site in Alberta. Nothing at the dig goes smoothly and he’s in conflict with the dig leader and Hunter Joseph, an eco-conservationist whose purpose is to cause trouble between the paleontologists and the locals. That means Nick and Hunter are at cross purposes. With danger and threats at the site, these two vastly different men have to learn to get along—and do they ever!

Jurassic Heart is the latest release by Anna Martin. I admit that I enjoy watching all the dinosaur shows on TV, so discovering this unique paleontology premise made it a must read for me. It gives a good look at life at a dig, is full of really interesting dinosaur facts and shows the rivalry between colleagues. There are numerous interesting characters, the personality development is pretty good and the descriptions are vivid.  The mystery of who is trying to wreck the site exploration is done nicely. The twist of who’s behind the danger and destruction took me by surprise. 

My big niggle and the thing I have trouble getting past is Nick and Hunter as a couple. I just don’t feel the chemistry between these two guys, particularly when Nick started the book with a friends-with-benefit relationship with Boner. So, I guess you could say the romance part of the story just didn’t work for me, but the rest of the story I enjoyed.

No comments: