Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Wolf at the Door

Author: N.J. Walters
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-61922-039-3
Genre: {M/F} Paranormal Series
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx
Release Date 04-15-2014

Gwendolyn Jones thinks her luck’s changed when she inherits property in the hills of Tennessee and moves into the cabin to pursue her dream of writing romance novels. She’s working on a free-lance paranormal piece and agrees to meet a contact in a local cemetery for a flash drive with information on werewolves. Afterward, her world falls apart when ‘real’ werewolves arrive at her door intent on taking it.

Jacque LaForge knows about the flash drive and how it could endanger all werewolves. He needs to get it from Gwen before his crazy former alpha/father gets involved.  On meeting, Jacque’s shocked to discover she’s his mate. When Gwen wrecks her car trying to get away, Jacque has to find a way to explain the dangerous world in which he lives and convince her to stay with him.

Wolf at the Door is the first release in the new paranormal series Salvation Pack by NJ Walters. Romances featuring werewolves are some of my favorites, so with an appealing blurb and an author I’m familiar with, I had to give this one a try.  

Gwen’s an interesting woman and I love her fearlessness of moving into an area of the country where she didn’t know anyone. She’s also a little flawed in her inability to make good decisions—like meeting a stranger in a dark cemetery—never a good idea. And Jacque, he’s kind, dependable and a responsible leader. Both these characters have nicely developed personalities and I feel like I know them pretty well but that doesn’t mean there still aren’t things I can learn about them as the series progresses.

With the unorthodox way Gwen and Jacque met I wasn’t certain the author had any chance of getting them together convincingly.  I admit I struggled for a large portion of the story with this premise. It bothered me **spoiler alert** that after being kidnapped and her life taken over Gwen fell for Jacque so easily. Yes, I know it’s a paranormal romance but it was just so fast. Even so, once I got past this, they make a nice couple and the adversities they and the other pack member face are done well. There’s lots of action and danger when dealing with Jacque’s father’s pack, the pace is smooth and there are enough twists to keep things interesting. 

There are questions left unanswered at the end of the story, which I assume will be addressed in the future as part of an ongoing story line. I’m curious as to which Salvation Pack member will meet his mate next. All these guys are unique individuals and I’d like to learn more about them, so it should be interesting. Look for it.

No comments: