Thursday, May 22, 2014

Wolf in Her Bed

Author: N.J. Walters
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-61922-217-5
Genre: {M/F} Paranormal Series
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx
Release Date: 07-08-2014

Anny Conrad’s single and lives alone except for her two cats. To celebrate her thirtieth birthday she and a friend go to a local bar where a man asks her to dance. He’s tall, rugged, smells good and being in his arms feels amazing. Letting him kiss her is out of character and after he leaves, Anny can’t stop thinking about him.

With his pack in a war, Armand LaForge doesn’t need a woman to mess with his head. Unfortunately fate has other ideas because the woman from the bar is his mate. He can still protect her from danger by staying away.  Except Armand’s plans don’t work and Anny soon learns what kind of world she’s now in and how deadly it can be.

Wolf in Her Bed is the second release in N.J. Walters series, Salvation Pack. Due to the ongoing story line and recurring characters, the books should be read in order.

Anny is an interesting choice as a mate of a werewolf. Her personality is so quiet, fearful and reserved, compared to the more loud and aggressive, Armand. I truly didn’t see this pair working. I took a little convincing and more than a few pages for the author to make me believe it. The pacing is smooth, there is lots of action and danger with the return of the previous villains—Armand’s old pack, including his father and the imagery is good. The author did a nice job integrating the characters we met in the first book—Armand’s pack members. These individuals are great additions to the book, adding a sense of family and friendship. I really like these people.

My two big niggles: Armand knew he was being followed. The idea that staying away would keep Anny safe is foolhardy. Truthfully, I was totally annoyed with him during this part of the story as it left Anny totally vulnerable to a situation she knew nothing about. Then there’s what I call the too-stupid-to live moment and Anny gets it. She’s been warned of the danger and to not leave the house without someone with her. What does she do? She leaves. It’s like a scene from a bad movie and I was disappointed at her lack of good judgment, even if it did move into a nicely done confrontation scene. 

The niggles don’t mean I didn’t find the book entertaining because I did. It’s a good second book and progresses the ongoing story line in a well plotted way. Yes, I found some things a little annoying but others made me smile or chuckle. And the sexual chemistry between Anny and Armand is sizzling. I have no idea who will be the next featured pack member but you can be guaranteed that I’ll be reading the story.

No comments: