Saturday, June 21, 2014

For Her Protection

Author: Amber A. Bardan
Publisher: Ellora’s Cave
ISBN/BIN: 9781419990465
Genre: {M/F} Contemporary
Rating: 2 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Rose Nymph

The moment Connor and Charlize meet, sparks fly. There is obvious attraction but also immediate tension. Charlize’s life revolves around her job as CEO of her family’s company; she won’t let anything get in her way from proving she can be a success. Unfortunately it becomes apparent that the company she controls is far from stable and the stress is radiating off her sharply enough that Connor can feel it a mile away. He wants nothing more than to distract her from all things corporate and get her focused solely on the physical pleasure he can provide.

When Connor realises just how bad things are for Charlize at work, he offers up his security services and makes it his prime directive to personally keep the boss lady safe. However he’s about to realise that you can’t make Charlize do anything she doesn’t want to do. It’s a battle of wills but Conner is finally able to bring down Charlize’s walls of resistance However with Connor’s constant distraction and hidden enemies trying to destroy her, will Charlize regret mixing business with pleasure?

There is an interesting story itching to get out of For Her Protection; one of sinister workplace behaviour that I couldn’t wait for Charlize to overcome, but it suffered from being pushed to the background while Charlize and Conner’s relationship went back and forth. I wanted to like them, but most of the time they drove me crazy. They are passionate, strong-willed and steadfast in their ideas, but they clashed constantly, which spoiled their relationship for me. I was rooting for Charlize, but her entire situation seemed to trigger distress in me, especially the workplace harassment. I connected with the situation in such a way that I wasn’t able to relax and enjoy the story. What Charlize was going through was too serious and stressful to me and most of the time, Connor’s response to the situation turned me off.

Many characters seemed stereotypical and frustrating. There is a scene where the actions of two implied steroid abusing gym guys cause injury to a female gym user. Charlize witnesses this and gives the guys hell – great, but the insinuation that Charlize was so hot headed that it clouded her judgement; that these two guys were actually going to cause grievous bodily harm to her but she was oblivious and needed Connor to step in, was frustrating. The way he intervened, with no consideration, as if Charlize couldn’t comprehend the situation; literally throwing her over his shoulder, kicking and screaming, saddened me. Conner refers to Charlize as a “she-cat”, and a “creature”. She is irritated by this, as was I, and she shows it, but of course Connor loves to see her worked up and frustrated so keeps on doing it. Two can play at that game, and Charlize loves it when she can get Conner so worked up that his mask slips. I personally don’t like this kind of interaction. I understand the fantasy and how this can transition into lust and passion, but I couldn’t buy into it. The ending does bring some satisfaction and closure, but the emotion this story stirred up in me meant that I wasn’t personally able to enjoy it.

No comments: