Friday, June 27, 2014

Restitution From His Mate

Author: Charlie Richards
Publisher: eXtasy Books
Publisher URL: www.extasybooks.com
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-77111-953-5
Genre: {M/M} Paranormal Series
Rating: 3 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx

As a partner in a construction company, Logan McByrne works hard, but in his off-hours he hooks up with gargoyle Geoffrey, for no strings sex. His problem…Geoffrey gets too attached, so Logan heads to Oregon to help his friend Zander with coyotes attacking his goat herd. They run into trouble on their first coyote hunt when a group of wolf shifters show up. Zander panics, one of the wolves gets shot…and Logan is blamed.

When Jimmy Noleander takes several of the young wolves out for training he didn’t expect to get shot…or for the man responsible to be his mate.  Logan knowing about shifters is a surprise and Jimmy quickly forgives him, but pack law requires restitution for his injury. Another problem…Geoffrey wants Logan, and Logan is commitment phobic. It’s a recipe for disaster but Jimmy knows their mating can work if Logan will give them a chance.

Restitution From His Mate is the newest release in the Paranormal’s Love series by Charlie Richards. 

Considering the rating I ended up with, I did enjoy this one. I was thrilled the author moved away from the gargoyle clutch and matched up a wolf with a human who was aware of shifters. It allowed him to have an easy interaction with Jimmy and the pack from the beginning. The author’s unusual reason for Logan’s trip across the country which resulted in his meeting his mate, I liked. I mean really. A coyote pack threatening a goat herd? A first for me. Both Logan and Jimmy are interesting guys and their personalities are developed enough so that I have an idea of what makes them ‘tick’. Their meeting certainly has a twist I didn’t expect…talk about different. I don’t think I’ve ever read a book where one mate shot the other. It certainly gives the plot lots of action and a pace I enjoyed, and pulls in new and old characters at a quick clip.

As I said above, I did like the story but I still had some niggles. They didn’t stop me from enjoying the story but I felt I needed to mention what bothered me, so here they are.

  1. The restitution thing annoyed me. Jimmy knew Logan really wasn’t responsible and forgave him for his part in his injury. It seemed like a big deal but then it wasn’t.
  2. Logan’s attitude toward Geoffrey was borderline nasty. Not something you want to see in a lead. Very unappealing.
  3. After he was injured, why didn’t Jimmy shift to heal faster. It didn’t make sense, considering he wasn’t injured with silver. Yes, it allowed some of the previous characters to be drawn into the plot but still….
  4. Gargoyles know their mates immediately, so why was Geoffrey confused about Logan…again it didn’t make sense.
Look for Accepting Caladon's Scales coming next.

No comments: