Monday, July 21, 2014

Cowboy Take Me Away


Author: Lorelei James
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-61922-397-4
Genre: {M/F} Contemporary Series
Rating: Recommended Read
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx

Carson McKay wants Carolyn from the moment he sees her across the dance hall floor. She’s gorgeous, sexy and the woman meant for him. He knows it. She’s not convinced, which is why Carolyn slugs him on the jaw when he tries to steal a kiss. It doesn’t deter Carson…it just makes her more perfect.

Carolyn might have attended a catholic school but she’s not innocent. She doesn’t trust the sexy cowboy but when he kisses her again, she practically ignites. Then the truth comes out. His last name is McKay and their families have been fighting for decades. Carolyn will have to ignore the feuding, and look past his shallow exterior to see the good man underneath if she wants to find the happily ever after that will give her decades of love.

Cowboy Take Me Away is the sixteenth and final book in the Rough Riders series by Lorelei James. I admit it. I can’t believe this beloved series has come to an end with a story about the couple that started it all. I’m so glad Ms. James allowed the Rough Riders to come full circle with the telling of how Carson and Carolyn met and had a life together. It now seems complete.

As I sat down to write this review I realized that as much as I’d enjoyed the other books, I loved this one…everything about it, and I rarely say that. It’s definitely my series favorite. Once I started reading, I didn’t want to stop and over 400 pages are hard to finish in one day, but I managed. 

There’s a lot going on in this book…drama and family, and yes it would be great if you’d read some of the previous books, but I think this one can stand on its own. Even though Carson and Carolyn have been in the periphery of earlier books, we didn’t know much about their personalities but here we learn about them as people…and I like them. I didn’t expect the book to start in the present and then jump into the past with a series of flashback scenes from both their perspectives. I’m not a huge favorite of this technique but here it works well, and it’s a perfect plotline answer. It allows you to discover so many things about their life together, whether good or bad, funny or sad…and yes, you might need tissues. The plot pulls in their kids, uses great imagery, has a smooth pace, plenty of surprise, lots of sex, and the pain and drama…it’s heart wrenching. This well written and complicated story is really all I could have asked for in Carson and Carolyn’s book. I hope you’ll give it a try. You won’t be sorry. Enjoy.

No comments: