Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A Tooth for a Fang

Author: Liv Olteano
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-63216-037-9
Genre: {M/M} Paranormal
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx

After ending a relationship with his abusive boss/boyfriend, Rick Barton takes his first vacation in years. It’s a decision that changes his life when he meets lycan Travis Chandler on the beach. Suddenly he’s in a world he didn’t know existed, and given little choice but to join a Paranormal Bureau of Investigation unit with Travis as his alpha partner.

Leaders from various paranormal groups are being killed gruesomely. They’re learned Rick’s a tracker…the only one they have…and they need to get into the field, so he and Travis become mates. Rick’s problems—no training, barely any adjustment period to his new life, and a mate that drives him nuts. Can they find the killer while learning what it means to be a couple, or are they doomed for failure both as mates and investigators?

I admit it. The rather mysterious cover and unusual title for A Tooth for a Fang first caught my attention since I was unfamiliar with Liv Olteano, the author. Dark and brooding covers aren’t usually ones I’m drawn too but this time it worked for me.  It didn’t give me any hint of the quality of the writing but it gave me hope that it would be as interesting, and I wasn’t disappointed. I found it to be both well written, entertaining, and the vivid world building is nicely thought-out and paced.

Rick’s world is turned upside-down when he meets Travis. He goes from being a human office worker to a lycan homicide detective within a manner of days. Talk about two dramatic changes.  There wasn’t much time allowed for Rick to acclimate to his new life but at least he’s given longer to get used to Travis, being his alpha and mate. I’m thrilled the author doesn’t use their mating to automatically fix their relationship and by the end of the book, they’re working to make their mating a success. I liked how it is handled. The murder investigation and secondary characters they meet are interesting and move the story along at a nice pace. I liked it and when I finished the last page, I knew I wanted to read more about their world.

As of this writing I checked the author’s blog and found that A Tooth for a Fang is listed as the first in the Leader Murders series, but not listed as such on the publishers site as of yet. Very pleased to hear. Happy reading. 

No comments: