Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Matters of Courtship

Author: C.M. Jackson
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-63216-049-2
Genre: {M/M} Alternative History
Rating: 3 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx

As the Crown Prince of the United Kingdom of America, William Samuel Davis is used to being followed by the media. What he doesn’t expect is for them to discover his preference for men and to “out” him to the entire world. What follows is a quickly arranged marriage to Lucas O'Malley-Hamilton, cousin to the current crown prince of the British Empire.  William isn’t happy and intends to make Lucas miserable enough to leave.

Things get complicated as William spends time with Lucas and grows fond of him but that doesn’t mean he wants to get married. Then the anti-monarchy people stir things up, putting the royal family in danger. As the tension rises and threats increase, William must come to grips with his changing feelings for Lucas. Will their royal marriage be accepted? Will they be happy together?

When I read the blurb for Matters of Courtship I thought it had potential. Since this is the first release for C.M. Jackson I decided to give it a try, and I’m sorry to say I was disappointed. Truthfully little of the plot worked for me. I found using an actual, living prince of England’s name as that of the main character’s a poor choice. That brings up William. He’s totally obnoxious and annoying and considering he’s twenty-six, he acts like a bratty teenager. I do like Lucas, but neither character had their personalities developed to their full potential. And don’t get me started on the ridiculous decisions William makes on a routine basis.

There are many opportunities for some great world building but it never happens and changed historical facts make little sense. For example—after fighting the Revolutionary War to get away from the British monarchy, Washington wouldn’t start a monarchy in America.

What I did like. As I mentioned above, I enjoyed Lucas and getting to know him a little as the plot progresses. William put up roadblocks to the marriage, so their relationship moves slowly before turning into a romance. I liked seeing a few tender moments when the antimonarchy crowd puts the royal family in danger, and Will caring for Lucas. I was actually shocked to see that side of him.

If you think the blurb sounds appealing, give it a try, you might find this version of history just what you’re looking for. It might just be your cup of tea.

No comments: