Wednesday, February 11, 2015

They Come By Night

Author: Tinnean
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-63216-431-5
Genre: {M/M} Paranormal
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx

In the world in which Tyrell Small lives, vampyrs are real. The difference from myth is that most survive on bagged blood and a fortunate few have access to the precious blood of the rare human sabors. For Tyrell it’s all a mystery. He knows he’s different and he has a strange birthmark to prove it.  However it’s not until his father explains their family history that Tyrell learns the truth. The birthmark means he’s destined to feed vampyrs.

Running away from home isn’t the answer but Tyrell needs to think. He climbs out his bedroom window and up onto the roof where he meets Adam Dasani, the vampyr who’s been guarding him for years. With the blood of two the of the strongest saborese families flowing through his veins, Tyrell’s safety can’t be left to chance. Adam and everyone else think Tyrell’s destiny is unchangeable, but nothing could be further from the truth, showing just how special Tyrell really is.

They Come By Night is the newest release by Tinnean. I’m very fond of books in this genre and found it to be fun and entertaining, but because the cover reminded me of a campy 1950’s movie poster, I almost gave it a pass without even reading the blurb. I’m glad I gave it a try. I hope you will too.

I thoroughly enjoyed the world building in this new release. Yes, I know the idea of vampyrs being civilized and utilizing bagged blood isn’t new, but taking it a step further with the creation of sabors certainly is. That brings Tyrell into the story. His personal history and the disintegration of his family at the beginning are very well written. The depth of emotion pulled me into the story and kept me wanting more. The plot flow is steady, the imagery is vivid and the details and history of the sabors are nicely placed within the plot. Yes, there are things left unexplained about sabors and Tyrell’s missing Uncle Phillip is a big dangling thread I’d like resolved, but overall I’m satisfied with the ending.

There are several interesting secondary characters, both vampyr and Tyrell’s family that I’d like to see again.  I enjoyed the personalities of Adam and Tyrell, the snappy dialogue is fun, and there’s even a bit of action, deceit and danger. I really hope there’s a sequel in the works. 

No comments: