Friday, March 18, 2016

Johnny Two-Guns

Author: Mark Wildyr
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN/BIN: 9781634770606
Genre: {M/M}, Contemporary          
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph

Roger and a co-worker plan to take a road trip to celebrate their divorces.  When the co-worker is called back to work, Roger decides to take the trip by himself.  While on the road, Roger makes several discoveries about himself that end up changing his whole life.

Johnny Two-Guns is set in the 90’s and tells the story of Roger Mackie, a recently divorced architect, who sets out on the road to self-discovery.  While growing up, Roger had a relationship with the older brother of his friend.  When things go badly, Roger puts the relationship out of his mind, convincing himself that he is straight.  Now, in his thirties, Roger’s life has taken a course he did not see coming.  Trying to come to terms with everything, he gets in the car and drives, eventually ending up in Montana.  While there, he meets a young Native American, Johnny Two-Guns. Roger finds himself helping the younger man and soon, the two form a friendship that becomes something more.  

Because of the time period in which the story takes place, it is easy to understand why Roger and Johnny are hesitant to make it known that they are gay.  This causes both men to live their lives as a lie.  It is only after they meet, and get to know each other that they decide to live in a way that will allow them to be happy, rather than worry about the feelings of others.

For me, the first part of Johnny Two-Guns was very good.  I found myself getting pulled into the men’s story.  I wanted them to find a way to overcome their problems so that they would be able to have their happily ever after.  Then the author threw a wrench in the whole thing.  I felt as if the time I invested in the characters was unimportant.  The couple, I spent my time getting to know, is not the one I ended up with.  Without giving anything away, the second half of the story left me feeling a little resentful and I almost did not finish the story. 

That being said, while I have an issue with this book, I liked the author’s writing style and plan on looking for other books by him. 

No comments: