Title: Blood on
the Ice
Author: Katriena
Knights
Publisher: Samhain
Publishing
Publisher URL: www.samhainpublishing.com
ISBN/BIN:
978-1-61922-136-9
Genre: {M/M}
Paranormal
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs
Reviewer: Dragon Minx
Hockey. It’s ring wing
Travis Payne’s life. His dream of winning the Stanley cup is one step closer when the
Chicago Blackhawks win a place in the finals. His future changes one night when
he’s attacked by a vampire and he wakes up in a special room at the Cook County
Morgue. Travis isn’t human any more…his rights have changed and he can no
longer play hockey in the NHL.
That doesn’t mean
Travis can’t play hockey for the local vampire hockey team, the Chicago Cobras.
Unfortunately, being a vampire means the Stanley Cup will forever remain out of
reach. Travis isn’t happy and it’s up to Cobra captain Marcus Antonius to teach
him how to survive in the vampire world and to deal with his new teammates and
their style of hockey. The former Ro man gladiator would also like to help Travis
directly into his bed. Can Travis let go of his old life and make a new one
with Marcus?
Blood on the Ice is by a new author for me—Katriena Knights. It has two things I love, vampires as the main
characters and hockey, so I had to give it a try. What more could I want…a well
written story of a human learning to be a vampire while battling the NHL.
It’s an interesting
twist on the genre—vampires out in the world and openly playing hockey. I loved
the details of Travis trying to handle being a new vampire. It’s one of the
things that really set the story apart. It covered the hard parts of his new
life instead of glossing over them, and showed his uncertainty and emotions
during this difficult time. This transition phase is also a good way of getting
Marcus into his life…and this guy is interesting and seen so much during his
long life. I like him and together he and Travis make a good couple.
What I liked: It’s
obvious the author knows her hockey from the vivid imagery used in the rink
during practice and in the games. The action is fast paced and realistic. There
are several wonderful secondary characters that really flesh out the story. In
fact, I’d like to see more of them and could see Blood on the Ice being the
first book in a vampire hockey series.
My niggles: The set up
was a little long—meaning Travis and Marcus didn’t meet for several chapters. That
being said, the guys didn’t get their relationship started for awhile and
didn’t get physically close until maybe 70% through…but it was hot and sexy.
Enjoy.

No comments:
Post a Comment