
Title: Taming the Wolf
Author: Michelle Houston
Publisher: Phaze Books
Publisher URL: http://www.phaze.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60659-140-6
Genre: Gay, Paranormal
Nymph Rating: 2.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Caen Nymph
When Ben entered the world of werewolves it wasn’t by choice. Wolves are not given a choice in their sexuality, so Ben lives a lonely life, hoping to find his mate. So when newly-turned Nathan arrives on his doorstep, Ben hopes he can find a way to keep Nathan both alive and sane, for both their sakes.
Taming the Wolf had a lot of interesting ideas, and I suppose that was also its downfall. There were too many interesting plot devices that just tumbled together in a confusing pattern. I liked how the author touched upon how gay werewolves should not exist. It was an interesting plot device to use, because it’s the first time I’ve come across such a notion. The prose was fast-paced, which made everything run a mile a minute. Sometimes I’d have to go back and re-read a passage a few times, because it didn’t make sense to me. There was a lot of back story on the werewolf myth, but the language just didn’t read smoothly enough. The story was told through Ben’s point of view, so we only get to see Nathan through his eyes. Whilst Nathan was there – I felt no connection with him. The relationship aspect moved too quickly, but it is the norm in shifter stories. Overall I found there to be a lot of potential in the initial premise of the story; however the execution didn’t come together for me.
Author: Michelle Houston
Publisher: Phaze Books
Publisher URL: http://www.phaze.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60659-140-6
Genre: Gay, Paranormal
Nymph Rating: 2.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Caen Nymph
When Ben entered the world of werewolves it wasn’t by choice. Wolves are not given a choice in their sexuality, so Ben lives a lonely life, hoping to find his mate. So when newly-turned Nathan arrives on his doorstep, Ben hopes he can find a way to keep Nathan both alive and sane, for both their sakes.
Taming the Wolf had a lot of interesting ideas, and I suppose that was also its downfall. There were too many interesting plot devices that just tumbled together in a confusing pattern. I liked how the author touched upon how gay werewolves should not exist. It was an interesting plot device to use, because it’s the first time I’ve come across such a notion. The prose was fast-paced, which made everything run a mile a minute. Sometimes I’d have to go back and re-read a passage a few times, because it didn’t make sense to me. There was a lot of back story on the werewolf myth, but the language just didn’t read smoothly enough. The story was told through Ben’s point of view, so we only get to see Nathan through his eyes. Whilst Nathan was there – I felt no connection with him. The relationship aspect moved too quickly, but it is the norm in shifter stories. Overall I found there to be a lot of potential in the initial premise of the story; however the execution didn’t come together for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment