Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cooking With Ergot


Title: Cooking With Ergot
Author: Luisa Prieto
Publisher: Aspen Mountain Press
Publisher URL: http://www.aspenmountainpress.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60168-191-1
Genre: Contemporary M/M
Rating: 4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Chocolate Minx

Dominic Abernathy is preparing for his cooking show, Midnight Gourmet, when his producer informs him that his guest will be Carter Brooks, who writes witch-hunting cookbooks. This normally would not be a problem except that Dominic is a real witch. Dominic decides to get a glimpse of Carter and assess the potential danger but when he arrives at the bookstore parking lot, he finds Carter under attack from his cousin Simon. Dominic rescues Carter and Simon runs away, but the danger is not over because Simon is obsessed with destroying every witch he can find.

It is said the opposites attract and this is certainly true with Dominic and Carter, although they really have more in common than opposite. Both men enjoy cooking and a quiet non-violent lifestyle and, even though Carter does not believe in magic, there is something magical about the undeniable attraction they share.

Luisa Prieto has produced a fascinating tale in Cooking With Ergot. The characters are intriguing and the plot has touches of hilarity, including a few amusing recipes. The entire story is impressive and very enjoyable.

2 comments:

NL Gassert said...

I just finished reading this book and found it delightful. I wish the story could have been longer, the mystery more drawn out, but I had a great time reading it and thoroughly enjoyed the author’s voice. I liked her straight-to-the point style and wit. I couldn’t help but adore Blaise.

I got stuck on personal pronouns on occasion. They are a pet peeve of mine and in a novel populated entirely by male characters need to be treated with utmost care. But the occasional slip wasn’t a big deal enough to rate the book lower or not enjoy it as much.

I highly recommend this book to any reader of gay, paranormal romances.

Nadja

Ro DuBose said...

I agree with you, the story is most enjoyable and I too am hoping for more of these wonderful characters.