Tuesday, February 9, 2010

And Call Me in the Morning


Title: And Call Me in the Morning
Author: Willa Okati
Publisher: Loose Id
Publisher URL: http://www.loose-id.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60737-509-8
Genre: [M/M] Contemporary
Rating: 4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph

Sometimes life throws you a curve, forcing you down a path never expected. Eli and Zane have been friends and colleagues for years, and spend all their free time together. They couldn’t be more different in temperament and background, but their odd couple pairing works for them. It also puts ideas in the heads of their mutual friends that they might be more than what they appear in public. What with the hours spent together, the loving looks and constant touching, they have to be lovers. Right? Wrong.

It seems the only thing that will stop the teasing is a kiss, except the first touch of their lips ignites more than a spark. It blazes hot and bright, with fire, passion, desire and scares Eli half to death. He might feel he’s too old to change his ways, but he also knows he can’t deny Zane anything.

And Call Me in the Morning is the latest release by multi-published author Willa Okati and of her writings, it’s my new favorite. I know. There have been many stories written about men who finally admit that their feelings run deeper than just friendship, but this one is something special. In fact, I didn’t race through it, to see what happened in the end. Instead, I found myself savoring it, a little at a time, and I hope you will react the same way.

Eli and Zane are nice men, great friends, and highly intelligent and dedicated doctors, and Ms. Okati expressed those feelings and personality attributes well. I really appreciated that she didn’t gloss over the problems with the hospital administration over funding for the desperately needed free clinic. Including details that might have been ripped from the headlines of any major newspaper smacked of true realism. It also handles the issue of job dissatisfaction, and whether one or both men should move one in to another opportunity; and I think all of us have confronted that issue at some time in our life.

It was nice seeing the friend’s side to Eli and Zane’s relationship before it made the slow and sometimes painful switch to that of lovers. And, I have to tell you, their two female doctor friend’s are a hoot. These women are sharp-tongued funny, persistent and they didn’t know when to shut-up and stop shoving the men together, which is what prompted the first kiss…the big moment that changed Eli and Zane’s lives. It was fun watching the process of Eli and Zane getting comfortable with the emotional and physical change in their relationship…and the sex when they did, let’s just say it was intense and passionate. The pacing is good, integration of the various secondary characters is smooth and timely, and the black moment a bit scary and life threatening. Add all these story aspects together and you have a winning tale that begs to be read. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Willa Okati said...

Thank you so much, Mystical! I'm really honored that you enjoyed Eli and Zane's story. They were different and fascinating to write and it makes me so very happy to see this review of them.

Gayle said...

I wouldn't mind seeing a follow up story of these two great characters in the future. Looking forward to your next release.

Mystical Nymph