Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Summer of Wes


Title: My Summer of Wes
Author: Missy Welsh
Publisher: Loose Id
Publisher URL: http://www.loose-id.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60737-833-4
Genre: {M/M}, Contemporary
Rating: 5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Critter Nymph

Malcolm was your typical geek in school, which of course made him the target of bullies. While he may have had to put up with the beatings and name calling, at least he always knew they were wrong about his being gay. Then he meets Wes.

My Summer of Wes definitely belongs in the coming of age category. Malcolm has just graduated from high school and he could not be happier. Unfortunately, the treatment he received at the hand of bullies, as well as the neglect from his parents, left him with a few insecurities. Wes is an openly gay, 24 year old mechanic, whose passion is restoring old cars. The opening scenes of this book drew me right in as I watched Wes meeting the bullies that had tormented Malcolm, and then a short while later Malcolm himself. Malcolm’s reaction to Wes’ openness and his growing confusion over his own sexuality come through clearly and realistically. The author uses Wes’ maturity and openness to show Malcolm that it is important to be true to yourself. I loved that the author allowed Malcolm to find his way naturally without any pressure from Wes, while at the same time having Wes by his side. The moment in which Malcolm realizes he is indeed gay had me chuckling. Though there are a few rough times, this is basically a sweet romance, and one that I will be re-reading again.

No comments: