Saturday, November 13, 2010

And so is Love


Title: And so is Love
Author: Scarlet Blackwell
Publisher: eXtasy Books
Publisher URL: http://www.extasybooks.com/
ISBN: 978-1-55487-648-8
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary
Rating: 4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Scandalous Minx

Dane Faulkner understands what lead him to his ten-year prison sentence. For two years, most inmates have learned through pain or example to give him a wide berth. His new cellmate, Bailey Lewis, quickly interrupts Dane’s world and has him scampering to reclaim his calm existence. When it becomes clear that Bailey is targeted and will need Dane’s protection, he reluctantly takes up the gauntlet to protect him. Dane soon realizes that life behind bars is unpredictable……And so is Love.

I’ll begin simply by saying I loved this story. Dane and Bailey are two complex well-developed characters. If anyone was to ask Dane his sexual preference, he would have quickly stated women prior to meeting Bailey. His whole objective was to focus on himself and stay out of tiffs. I couldn’t fault Dane for preferring to stay on the fringes. While he seemed a little selfish at first glance, his reactions to Bailey’s plight told me there was a genuine caring person under that tough exterior.

Bailey is a touch bratty and is willing to push Dane’s buttons to get what he wants. And while some of his actions made me sigh, I began to relate some of them to his internal fears. The environment didn’t leave him the opportunity to appear weak and Bailey knew he had to put on his game face even if he went down fighting. Even while he was hurting, he only wanted the security he found in Dane’s arms. That had become his safe haven and the one place he wasn’t willing to live without.

I could understand Dane’s apprehension, but I loved how two characters in particular knew what made Dane tick. They were brave enough to give him the truth as they saw it and refused to back down, regardless of how he reacted. Dane was also admirable when it came to protecting Bailey. And while I understood some of his actions, I couldn’t help but to be disappointed each time Bailey’s heart was in the kill zone. I found myself wanting to wrap a protective arm around him at those moments. I was unsure if he would give up, stronger men have thrown the towel in for far less, but Bailey was definitely a forever type of man.

The story gives us a glimpse of the social injustices that inmates face, but it also showed how love can be formed even under less ideal circumstances. I hope to read more from this fantastic author in the near future.

No comments: