Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Yakuza


Title: My Yakuza
Author: A.J. Llewellyn and John Simpson
Publisher: Total E Bound Books
Publisher URL: http://www.total-e-bound.com/
ISBN: 978-0-85715-372-2
Genre: {M/M}, Suspense, Action
Rating: 5 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph

Shiro’s life has always been slightly unusual. He’s never known his father, his mother has no problem sleeping with men for money and his grandmother has an unusual herb garden. His one constant has always been his love for Hawaii. But his hopes of a degree in Hawaiian studies is temporarily derailed when Shiro has to find his missing mother, whose lover just so happens to be a the head of a Yakuza clan in Japan.

My Yakuza is the first collaboration of authors A.J. Llewellyn and John Simpson. Separately they are very good writers; together they are outstanding. I loved the characters Shiro and Kono. The connection between these two men is intense from the beginning, even though Kono is not sure whether or not he can trust the younger man. Watching Shiro trying to be good had me chuckling more than once. There is also a lot of action in this story as Shiro and Kono try to save themselves and Shiro’s mother and friend. Between the intense heat of the two men and the constant action, there is plenty to hold the reader’s attention. There are a few wonderful secondary characters, some are not always what they seem, that help move the story along. Without giving too much away, there is one point in the story when I could not believe who one of the ‘bad’ guys was.

My Yakuza is an excellent story and I hope these two authors have plans to write more stories together.

3 comments:

AJ Llewellyn said...

Many thanks, Critter Nymph. I am so stoked you enjoyed the book and thank you for mentioning the surprising bad guy!! I was wondering how people would react to that twist. Thank you again your words mean a lot to me.

MIKE PETTIT THRILLERS said...

AJ, I write Action Thrillers, mostly with an oriental theme..Triads, Expatriots in the Far East..etc. I find your story of super interest and can't wait to read it. One of the my future story lines is going to be about a war between the Hong Kong triads and the Yakusa. I'll be sure to read your book as part of my research. Thanks.

AJ Llewellyn said...

Hi Mike, thank you so much!! The Yakuza has always fascinated me. I read an incredible memoir by an American who infilitrated the organization and it gave me the idea for this story. I found the research part to be enthralling and loved being able to find so much detail in various places on the Internet and in print. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.
BTW the female sex slave trafficking, even the torture methods I depicted and the older Yakuza members etc. is all accurate :)