Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I’m on Fire

Title: I’m on Fire
Author: Sommer Marsden
Publisher: Ellora’s Cave
Publisher URL:
ISBN: 9781419932410
Genre: {M/F} Contemporary
Rating: 5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Amethyst Nymph

Mel Valley’s world comes to a screeching halt when she arrives home to an empty house and a sticky note on her refrigerator. Her moron of an ex-boyfriend wasn’t there to punch in the face, so Mel chose the next best thing. Burning his belongings would give her the closure Mel needed. Unfortunately, things didn’t go as planned.

Women were nothing but trouble and Jackson Goodman wanted nothing more to do with them. After the bad day he’d just experienced, Jackson was unprepared for his attraction to the blonde lady with the crazy socks. All Jackson wanted to do was put out the kitchen fire and leave before he made her cry again.

Circumstances keep throwing Mel and Jackson together, no matter how hard they both tried fighting their attraction. Jackson isn’t ready to date again and continues to remind Mel of that fact. It might be believable if he could manage to keep his mind and hands off of her. Mel is confused by his mixed signals, but she can’t resist falling for the sexy fireman.

I’m on Fire is an unconventional love story about two people who try their best to ignore the pink elephant in the room. Mel and Jackson meet when they are both emotional wrecks. As bad as I felt for Mel, I think Jackson was probably in worse shape than Mel. He was well on the way to turning into a bitter man that I doubt anybody would enjoy being around. And the more he put his foot in his mouth, the more I fell in love with Jackson. I found it so easy to identify with him, because Jackson is like so many of us. He had some very real life issues going that he didn’t deserve, yet Jackson still managed to do his job. I felt his confusion and his remorse over Mel.

Sommer Marsden cleverly injects the perfect balance of humor and ardor in this story that will leave readers laughing and lusting at the same time. I especially enjoyed discovering how the author came up with the title. I give this story a standing ovation for bringing a smile to my face and warmth to my heart.

No comments: