Monday, January 14, 2013

Cold, Cold Winter

Author:  Asha King
Publisher:  Phaze Books
Publisher URL:
ISBN/BIN:  978-1-60659-715-6
Genre:  {M/F} Contemporary, Interracial
Rating:  3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer:  Amethyst Nymph

Blogging at home was bringing in good money for Danyiah “Dani” Jackson, even though living in the small town of Stirling Falls was challenging.  As long as she had her hot cowboy by her side, nothing else mattered.  Hopefully, Dani had come up with the best humorous way to divulge some news to him. 

Adam Cooper is a hard working guy who likes to keep things simple.  As much as he loves Dani, their relationship was anything except simple.  Adam is constantly hovering between wanting her and shock at some of the things she does.  Now he’s faced with the prospect that Dani isn’t taking their relationship as seriously as he is.  All his future plans seemed to be disappearing before Adam’s eyes.

Dani and Adam have a fight that could end them forever.  Neither one of them wants to give in and compromising seems impossible.  As far as Adam is concerned, there is no middle ground.  He doesn’t believe that Dani ever intended to be with him forever and Dani doubts that Adam will totally accept her as she is.  They were as different as night and day.  Sometimes love isn’t enough, but in this case, thank God it was.  The couple got a wake up call that brought their fight to an end.  When Dani is finally honest with Adam, he shares some things of his own. 

Cold, Cold Winter is the couple’s continued story from Wild Horses.  I didn’t read their first story, so I am curious about the couple’s history.  After all Dani and Adam have been through, you’d think things would be smooth sailing, but relationships don’t work that way.  Their love has to be true blue, when I consider how different they both seem to be.  Even I had my doubts that Dani would be too much for Adam to handle.  I found myself wanting her to conform to him and I’m not sure why.  Adam is so likeable, I couldn’t help myself.  But as a woman, I understood Dani’s side of things.  Her career and goals had to be just as important as Adams and he had to understand that.  I am still trying to grasp why Dani picked that particular object to leave for Adam as a surprise in his room.  Yes, she explained it, but wow. 

I think Dani and Adam represent a lot of couples out there.  They were deeply in love but they had their differences.  Real effort had to be taken so those differences didn’t drive a wedge between them.  I think Asha King put a nice dose of reality in this story with the right amount of “happily ever after” that readers will appreciate.  Not everyone can make real life problems seem romantic.  That is a real talent. 

No comments: