Title: Floodgates
Author: Mary Calmes
Publisher:
Dreamspinner Press
Publisher URL: www.dreamspinnerpress.com
ISBN/BIN:
978-1-62798-738-7
Genre: {M/M}
Contemporary
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs
Reviewer: Dragon Nymph
Tracy Brandt has a
pretty good life with the exception of his cheating ex-boyfriend. At least he
thinks he does until he’s almost killed at work, which brings his brother’s
annoying best friend, Homicide inspector Cord Nolan, to the hospital and to the
rescue.
Cord didn’t make a
good impression on Tracy when they met five
years ago and the intervening years hasn’t changed Tracy ’s opinion. But Cord’s changed—he isn’t
the same man he was. He’s still a good cop but he’s also personally reliable
now. Tracy just
can’t see it. Now that Tracy ’s
in trouble, Cord hopes he finally has a chance of showing the man he cares for
that he’s a different man and worth opening his heart for.
Floodgates is the newest contemporary release by Mary Calmes. I tend
to read nearly all the books by this author because I find them fun and
entertaining and I enjoy the characters she creates. That’s true of Tracy and Cord in Floodgates, even if they do remind me
of Sam and Jory from her Matter of Time
series.
The story starts off
with a bang—literally, when Tracy
gets shot at. It’s a beginning that pulls the reader into what’s happening in Tracy ’s life and propels
the plot forward at a steady speed. As per usual there’s a lot about this book
that appeals to me—the well developed personalities, vivid descriptions, solid
relationships and good dialogue. There’s even enough action, danger and drama
to make just about any romance reader happy. Tracy and Cord are interesting guys too. I
really appreciate the amount of background provided and how it’s seamlessly
woven into the plot; it made the rocky start of a personal relationship
believable.
Here’s my biggest
niggle. Tracy
and Cord spend a large portion of the book apart—almost adversarial—before
their relationship begins to change. Instead too much time is spent on Tracy dealing with his
ex, Breckin. There are some other spots I found troublesome but I won’t go into
detail and reveal any other spoilers about the plot or it’s villain. Just know
that despite my niggles, I did enjoy it.

No comments:
Post a Comment