Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Loving Jay

Title: Loving Jay
Author: Renae Kaye
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN/BIN:  9781627986304
Genre: {M/M}, Contemporary
Rating: 4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph

Since a car accident left him with a limp when he was sixteen, Liam has had to make adjustments to his life.  Unbeknownst to the young man, his biggest challenge is just around the corner; admitting to him, and others, that he is gay.  Attracted to Liam, Jay stages a meeting that soon leads these two from friendship to lovers.

Loving Jay is my first book by author Renae Kaye and I have to say it won’t be my last.  The author pulled me in right from the beginning.  I loved the characters and really felt for Liam as he struggled with his attraction to men.  It is easy to see why he is leery of accepting who he really is because of his fear about losing his family.  I have to say, though, that the way the author has Liam’s family voice their initial support for the young man, even before he comes out, lets the reader know that for the most part everything with his family would work out. 

Jay is the total opposite of Liam, which makes him the perfect match for the other man.  I love Jay’s quirkiness, especially when he has bouts of verbal diarrhea.  And when he shares a scene with his whole family, watch out because the craziness really shows up. When Jay and Liam finally come together as a couple they really heat up the pages, especially at the bachelor party.

While the relationship between the two men is important, the author covers some tense issues that help make the story, and Liam’s journey, come across realistically.  The secondary characters are just as well done as the main characters and I loved the way the two families reacted to the men’s relationship. 

Loving Jay is a great story and one I plan on re-reading again.  This is one author I will be keeping an eye on and can’t wait to see what she has planned next. 

No comments: