Friday, July 11, 2014

Pride and Modern Prejudice

Author: AJ Michaels
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-62798-710-3
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx

Liam Bennet can usually get along with anyone. At least he thought so, until his brother starts dating Bingley and Liam meets William Darcy, Bingley’s business partner. They’re frequently thrown together but Will’s proud, cold, arrogant attitude only annoys Liam. As he goes off to college, Liam’s forced to deal with his conflicted feelings toward Darcy, his father’s job loss and his best friend, Charlotte, getting involved with his obnoxious cousin, Collins. To make matters worse, an old acquaintance of Darcy’s, George Wickham, comes to town causing trouble and his young brother is endangered. When Wickham’s past is exposed and Liam learns the truth of Darcy’s part in it, can Liam admit his mistake and confess his true feelings for Darcy?

Pride and Modern Prejudice is the first book by AJ Michaels I’ve read. As you can tell from the title it’s a modern version of the Jane Austin classic. I admit it. I’ve read the book and likely seen every movie version, so this new release is perfect for me. I suspect that others who love the original will likely feel the same way. *Be aware that just because the author’s made the main characters men doesn’t mean she’s turned this updated story into an erotic romance.*  So If you’re looking for that, this might not be for you.

The classic Austin tale has vivid descriptions, humor, plenty of charm and lots of great scenes between the characters, and this new version does too. The backbone of the story is basically unchanged—by that I mean the people and their relationships. It’s their country, jobs, education, and how they conduct their everyday lives that have been significantly changed. The author’s really done a nice job pulling these two things together—the books classical past and the contemporary nuances of the new release. As I swiped each page on my reader, I couldn’t wait to see what next change I’d find. I’m happy to say, each and every one worked and made sense in the new world the author has created. Enjoy. 

I can only hope the author tries converting another classic romance into a M/M contemporary in the future.

No comments: