Friday, June 19, 2015

Family Jewels

Title: Family Jewels
Author: M.J. O’Shea
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN/BIN: 9781634760744
Genre: {M/M}, Mystery          
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph

Luke is an Interpol agent living in England.  One night just as he is getting ready to settle down after an exhausting day at work, he is called back out on a case.  That night is the start of a series of events that will change Luke’s life.

Family Jewels is the newest book by Ms. O’Shea.  This story is one that, for me, is hard to review.  There are parts of the story that I really loved.  The premise is excellent and one that easily pulled me in.  I loved the idea of a cat burglar and Interpol agent falling in love.  I could not wait to see how the author planned to play this out.  Then there were the characters.

The main characters are very engaging.  Luke is everything that you would expect an Interpol agent to be.  This strong handsome man is open about who he is and does not make any excuses for anything.  The only thing missing is someone steady in his life.  Corbin is following in the family business, and while he has made a name for himself, he no longer has the same feelings as when he started.  Deciding to spice things up a little, he borrows a couple of tricks from his father.  These two men are each seeking something and end up at the same bar.  The attraction between them is instant and, from the beginning, both men ignore their personal rules.  Even though you know that the author is planning to put these two together, I could not help thinking that there were so many ways this could go wrong. 

Another aspect of the story I loved was the mystery, not only that of the Nightwatchman, but also the murder that occurs.  This part of the story has many twists and turns, and I could not believe who the bad guy turns out to be.  I never saw it coming and I am sure others will be just as surprised. 

Now for the part of the story that makes this review hard, the ending.  Without giving anything away, I will just say this book in no way ended the way I was expecting.  I hope the author plans to bring these two men back for more, as there are some questions that still need to be answered.

No comments: