Thursday, July 9, 2015

Love Will Always Find You

Author: Claire Matthews
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
ISBN/BIN: 9781619230255
Genre: {M/F} Contemporary; Suspense
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Rose Nymph

Evie Malone is stuck in a rut. She’s an aspiring author but she’s having writer’s block. Her day job as a dog trainer makes her happy and pays the bills, but her love life is a mess. She’s unhappy in her relationship with Brad, so decides once and for all that she is going to end it. When she arrives at his place to let him down gently however, she walks straight in to a crime scene. Brad is dead and Evie is suspect number one.

Luke Kovacs is a great cop, but knows nothing about taking care of a dog. When he inherits one from his aunt, he calls Evie for help. There is an immediate attraction, but there’s hardly a chance to acknowledge it before Evie is embroiled in a murder investigation. Luke is dedicated to his job and trusts his instinct that Evie is innocent, but someone is trying to frame her. Can Luke keep his cool when the woman he has come to care about the most is put in danger?

I enjoyed reading Love Will Always Find You. The story captured my imagination; I was curious to unravel the mystery of Brad’s death. The supporting characters were strong and give a real “whodunit?” feel to the book. I did like Luke, although I felt his character was held back a bit from his true potential. My thoughts on Evie are a bit more complex. Certain ways she behaved rubbed me up the wrong way at times.

There is a lot of humor in the book - it’s a nice character trait for both Evie and her cousin Jesse, who also put in a strong performance. I just struggled to find the humor and the seriousness of Brad’s murder compatible. Evie’s thoughts about her relationship with Brad were not particularly flattering, but I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. Reading about how her thoughts would switch between compassion at the horrible situation and attraction to Luke seemed a bit inappropriate. That being said, I did enjoy the story – I just felt my personality clashed with Evie’s at times.

No comments: