Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A is for Apple


Book Title: A is for Apple
Author: Kate Johnson
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Publisher URL: http://www.samhainpublishing.com/
ISBN: 1-59998-605-1
Genre: Chick Lit, Mystery-Suspense
Nymph rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs reviewer: Bramble Nymph

As a new spy, Sophie Green is thrilled to take some time off her gruesome work and visit the island paradise, Fuerteventura to rest and rejuvenate. She still doesn’t have a clue where she stands with her boyfriend, Luke Sharpe or what to do about her special agent status. Don Shapiro is her next assignment and is sent to New York to track him down. Little does she know that she’ll be ending up posing as a teenager undercover! How is Sophie going to get out of this one?

It is so good to look at the other side of James Bond. Sophie isn’t the regular suave spy we all love to know. She is always falling headlong into troubles and still manages to finagle her way out. Her escapades are full of humor and you can’t help but laugh out loud while feeling sorry for her at times. Luke just seems the right guy for her but both have so much on their plates that they can’t think straight at times.

The plot is quirky enough to raise eyebrows but I was having so much fun that I refuse to nitpick at all. If Sophie thinks that she can pass off as a teenager then who am I to object? I tried to understand the British schooling system as Ms. Johnson explains it and was pleasantly surprised that I got into it as the story progressed. Sophie’s trip to the Big A was as entertaining as her antics and I really enjoyed every minute of it. The author deserves a pat on the back for describing the teenage life through the eyes of person who never liked to be a teenager.

The ending really did me in but I am not sure whether I felt good or bad for the unexpected surprise. The usual secondary cast is there to provide the required bit of interest and you feel like you know the characters like family. Complete with the unexpected twists and turns, A is for Apple is a complete entertainer!

No comments: