Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Blacker the Berry


Book Title: The Blacker the Berry
Author: Lena Matthews
Publisher: Loose Id
URL: http://www.loose-id.net/
ISBN: 978-1-59632-735-1
Genre: BBW Multicultural Contemporary Western
Nymph Rating: 5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Scandalous Minx


When Tamara Holifield receives a call from Ty, the husband of her best friend Charlotte, she never dreams it would change her life. Ty asks Tamara to visit his housebound pregnant wife, whose is feeling depressed and needs cheering up. He knows if anyone is capable of removing the gloom, its Tamara.

Russell Crichton has known Ty most of his life and would do anything for him, including playing chauffeur and allowing Tamara to accompany him on his trek. Tamara is a contradiction to everything he ever considers her to be. She’s warm, giving, loving, considerate, and capable of showing Russell just how lonely his life truly is.

What is there not to love about The Blacker the Berry? Lena Matthews is the kind of author that makes you scrambling to go out and buy her latest book. This woman can write her butt off. I found myself drawn in on the first page while weak with laughter, and there was no turning back. In a matter of hours, I was finished and realized I wished there was a bit more. Tamara is a woman still trying to find her purpose in life. She works in a dead end job to have time to focus on her dreams. Russell has sacrificed part of his adult years working as a lawyer, and now he’s on the brink of having the ranch he has longed for. I loved how they both were willing to do whatever was necessary to fulfill their heart’s desire. Past relationships left Tamara with a slightly bitter taste in her mouth, and she started to see all men as being the same. She wasn’t a bitter woman, but skeptical when it came to men and their ultimate reasons for staying around. I loved Russell even more when he recognized Tamara’s fear. He brought it to her attention and I knew she found the man who would battle any dragon to claim her. The story is entertaining and set on a fantastic backdrop. The characters are witty, smart survivors who deserved their happily ever after. If you haven’t read this story, what are you waiting for?

No comments: