Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Geography of Murder




Title: The Geography of Murder
Author: P.A. Brown
Publisher: MLR Press
Publisher URL: http://www.mlrbooks.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60820-055-9
Genre: M/M Contemporary BDSM Romantic Suspense
Rating: 5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph

Jason Zachary is in more trouble than he ever imagined. After a night of heavy partying, the last thing he remembers is hooking up with a gorgeous blond-haired man in a local bar parking lot. When he wakes the next morning and rolls over, Jason discovers he’s lying next to a dead man he’s never met. He’s hung-over, confused, scared and to make matters worse, there’s a cop, Detective Alex Spider standing over him, demanding answers. Jason is certain he didn’t kill the dead man but can’t prove it. Before he can wrap his mind around what’s happening, he’s arrested, handcuffed and charged with murder.

Alex Spider is a detective for the Santa Barbara Police Department and he’s not thrilled when he’s called out to an early morning murder scene…on a ship no less, and he hates the water. When he arrives and finds his suspect, Jason, asleep and in bed with the victim, it seems like a slam-dunk case. The only problem is, despite a few minor run-in’s with the law, Jason doesn’t fit the profile of a killer. The young man is adamant in his innocence…and Alex believes him. The question is whether Alex can prove Jason’s isn’t a murderer before it’s too late.

The Geography of Murder is the first book by P.A. Brown that I’ve had the pleasure of reading and after experiencing the quality of her writing, excellent characterization and complex plot development, it most definitely won’t be my last. If you’re looking for a quick read; a bit of fluff for an easy afternoon, then this book might not be for you. On the other hand, if you want depth, grit, passion, desire, deceit, suspense and a little kink, then this book is a must read, easily finding a home in your keeper file, to be read and enjoyed again in the future.

The book starts with a startling bang…or should I say a murder; and so begins the fast paced, rollercoaster ride of Jason and Alex. At the beginning, I couldn’t wrap my mind around how Ms. Brown was going to get these two dissimilar men together, so imagine my surprise when she did it, and did it with realism and creativity. I love a good murder mystery, the more twists the better and the author didn’t disappoint, but kept me guessing up unto the end when she revealed the true culprit.

I must admit that I’m extremely fussy about reading books written in a first person viewpoint. In this instance, I shouldn’t have worried, because Ms. Brown’s writing skill quickly pulled me into the story, and her use of a back and forth style between Jason and Alex, I thought was particularly effective.

The relationship between our two main characters starts a little stiff, as you can imagine, since Alex is the detective arresting Jason for murder. Yet, it isn’t long before Alex is trying to prove Jason’s innocence, and it’s not long after he’s released, that they begin a hot and steamy Dom/submissive relationship. There’s much to recommend this book, so in the end, all I can say is, read and enjoy! I did.

4 comments:

P.A.Brown said...

I'm really glad you like Geography of Murder. It was a hoot to write and I confess I fell in love with both Spider and Jason. So much so I had to write a sequel.

mystical nymph said...

Loved the book and I can't wait for the next one. Keep up the good work, I'll be watching.

Amber Green said...

Don't you love a book that's worth reading twice?

mystical nymph said...

Yes, Amber I do, and Geography of Murder has definately found a home in my keeper file.