Saturday, July 3, 2010

Pack Of Lies


Title: Pack Of Lies
Author: Vanessa Vaughn
Publisher: Ravenous Romance
Publisher URL: http://www.ravenousromance.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60777-339-9
Genre: {M/M}, Shapeshifter, Paranormal
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Critter Nymph

Jack never expected a night of mandatory schmoozing to end the way it did. Not only does he have to get his car repaired, but he ends up spending several days in the hospital. If that isn’t enough, he is having weird dreams and even weirder cravings.

I had a hard time with Pack Of Lies because I could not decide if I actually liked it or not. A young man and his date are heading home after a night out and run over something on a lonely stretch of road. When he gets out to see what happened, he’s attacked by a werewolf. Later, as he begins to go through his change, it becomes important to find the werewolf who bit him. While I thought the premise was a good one, it was only my need to find out how the story ended that kept me reading.

It’s not unusual for there to be characters that the reader won’t like as it is one of the things that can keep a story interesting. However, with the exception of Marcus and Jack, I found the rest of characters to be lacking. In my opinion, not one of the secondary characters had any redeeming qualities. The pack itself was so dysfunctional that it is surprising that Marcus ever held on to his position as Alpha. While it is easy to see some chemistry between Marcus and Jack, I felt so much time was spent on the pack and its issues with Jack that the relationship between the men became lost.

While I found the premise of Pack Of Lies to be a good one, the problems I had with the characters kept me from really enjoying it.

No comments: