Sunday, September 19, 2010

Captain’s Price


Title: Captain’s Price
Author: Lyla Sinclair
Publisher: Ellora’s Cave
Publisher URL: http://www.jasminejade.com/
ISBN: 9781419930034
Genre: {M/F} Historical
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Amethyst Nymph

After weeks of traveling on The Redemption under the guise of a boy, Julianna Burton blows her cover. With no money to pay for her passage, Julianna fears the captain will refuse to deliver her to her original destination. She had no problem with working off her fare, until she found out what kind of “work” the dangerously magnetic captain wanted her to do.

Captain Drew Price had several options to pick from for handling the stowaway he discovered but, selfishly, he chose the lewdest one possible. Good intentions battled against molten desire for the wide-eyed beauty. If nothing else, Drew intended to protect Julianna from the men aboard his ship. But who was going to protect her from him?

Julianna and Drew share more than raw desire for each other. They both struggled with indecisiveness, caused by actions of their fathers. Julianna vowed to remain untouched, even though Drew made her want to do wicked things. Drew wanted Julianna to choose him and allow him into her heart, not just her bed. Drew’s anger and method of punishment in one particular scene left me breathless. I sank into this story like quicksand from the internal struggle each character had. Drew had more depth, honor and morals than I thought, but secretly hoped for. Regardless of her spunk, Julianna’s naiveté at times was so unexpected, I literally blushed for her. Once or twice, I feared she wouldn’t snap out of her schoolgirl thinking before losing Drew forever.

Lyla Sinclair created an enticing dilemma that would make any woman glad to pay the Captain’s Price without hesitation. I have added her name on my growing list of authors to watch.

2 comments:

Debra Glass said...

I love Lyla Sinclair's Kumm University series and am looking forward to reading this historical!! It's on my TBR list. Wonderful review!

Lyla Sinclair www.lylasinclair.com said...

Debra, you're so on top of things, you always beat me everywhere, even to my own reviews!

Thanks Amethyst Nymph for the kind words. I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. It was my first historical ever, unlike Debra who's a pro at them.

I'll ad your review excerpt and blog link to my website.