Thursday, April 14, 2011

Flesh & Blood

Title: Flesh & Blood
Author: Ethan Stone
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Publisher URL:
ISBN: 978-1-61581-973-7
Genre: {M/M}, Contemporary, Suspense
Rating: Golden Blush Award
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph

Cristian’s life is going along just fine until one of Reno’s wealthiest is attacked in his own home. What should have been just another case soon has Cristian facing his demons and wondering if he and his lover, Colby, will make it out the other side.

Flesh & Blood is the sequel to Mr. Stone’s In the Flesh and, while I thought the first book was good, I absolutely loved the follow-up. I have to warn you that the topics covered in this story are, at times, very dark and may be difficult for some to read.

From the beginning, Cristian and Colby pull you back into their world and the opening scenes had me a little surprised, until I realized just what was going on. The chemistry between the men is stronger than ever, with Colby finally out to his family and co-workers and it looks like everything is going well. Unfortunately, Cristian’s new case changes all that and this is what makes Flesh & Blood an excellent story. It is hard not to say too much without spoiling the story, but suffice it to say, the subject matter of the case is something that could come out of today‘s headlines. The author was able to make the reader care about all the victims, while at the same time despise the criminals, of which there are many. That this case is going to affect Cristian, in a personal way, is easy to see and slowly the reader learns just what is behind all the rules Cristian tries so hard not to break. I loved that Colby, regardless of how Cristian behaved at times, stood behind his man, although there is one point in the story when the lawyer shocked me.

Although there are a few heartwarming moments between Cristian and Colby, this is a story that is full of angst. While I don’t think I ever cried through a book as much as I did this one, Flesh & Blood became one of my absolute must saves. The twists and turns the story line takes will surprise many readers but they will also keep you reading to find out what will happen next. Cristian and Colby have become two of my favorite characters and I will be reading both In the Flesh and Flesh & Blood again soon.

1 comment:

Ethan said...

Thank you very much for this outstanding review. I'm glad you liked Flesh & Blood. I think it was as emotional for me to write as it was for you to read it.

--Ethan Stone