Monday, May 14, 2012

Chasing Shadows

Title: Chasing Shadows
Author: Jez Morrow
Publisher: Torquere Books
Publisher’s URL: http://www.torquerebooks.com/
ISBN/BIN:  978-1-61040-681-9
Genre: {M/M}, Paranormal, Mystery
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph 

John Hamdon is having the day from hell.  While rushing to his girlfriend’s with hopes of preventing her from committing suicide, the detective runs over a wolf and is then rear-ended.  When John gets out to check on the wolf, he is surprised to find a gorgeous naked man under his car, and even more shocked when the man turns back into a wolf. 

Chasing Shadows by Jez Morrow puts a new spin on the usual shape-shifter tale.  Unfortunately I did not like the first half of the story.   For me, the first half came across in small snippets, making it hard for me to form a connection to the characters.   At times, I even wondered if I had missed something and found myself going back to check on what I had already read.  I also had a hard time feeling any connection between the characters themselves.  It was not until the second half of the book that I started to enjoy it.   

In the second half of the story, the author goes into more detail regarding shape-shifters and I liked the way the author switched up the classic werewolf story and gave them a whole new reason for being.  Like John, I too had begun to wonder just what Bast’s story was.  The mystery of the shadows and how they play into the story line was very interesting as well, and I was surprised by more than one twist the author threw in.   I thought the author did a neat job of wrapping up the story line and only wished the whole book could have been as good as the second half.

No comments: