Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My Boyfriend’s an Alien

Author: L. M. Brown
Publisher: Totally Bound
ISBN/BIN: 9781781849309
Genre: {M/M}, Futuristic, Science Fiction
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph

Zak is ready for his next transformation and can’t help wondering what it will be this time.  He also can’t help wondering how many more times he will be shifting.  When Zak becomes a human, he does not expect it to be as life-altering as it is.

My Boyfriend’s an Alien is the newest book by author L.M. Brown.  As the title suggests, this is a science fiction story that I am sure has a little something for everyone.  Zak is an alien whose race transforms into the shape of other species in order to learn about those around them.  They have no say in what they become until after they finish puberty.  When Zak becomes human, he is shocked and his reaction is that of a typical teenager, although his alien self is far older.  When he is sent to Earth, he is in for even more of a shock since nothing is like he was expecting. 

I loved how Zak’s behavior mirrors that of the teenager that he now is.  Every action, from the way he is with his “foster parents”, to how he acts about school, is so typical that I had to laugh, especially since he reminded me of my nephew at times.  Then there are the feelings he doesn’t understand.  I found myself laughing out loud when his foster father tried to explain what an erection was and how to handle it, especially because of the misunderstanding that followed.

Sam, a human college student, is intrigued by the new student in his class.  Sam’s shy, however, and unsure about approaching Zak.  As they become friends there are numerous misunderstandings, some of which are funny and others not so much.  Through it all is the secret that seems to surround Sam.  To be honest, I was not sure what to expect regarding Sam’s secret, but when it was revealed I almost cried.  The way that Zak steps up to help Sam and also comes clean about how he feels for the other boy was very well done.

I really enjoyed My Boyfriend’s an Alien.  I found the story and characters entertaining and plan on reading this story again soon.  I would love to see a sequel of some kind just so we could see how these two are doing. 

No comments: