Thursday, May 22, 2014

Coaxing His Skittish Lynx

Author: Charlie Richards
Publisher: eXtasy Books
Publisher URL:
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-77111-926-9
Genre: {M/M} Paranormal Series
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx

Roland’s spent twenty-five years in his lynx form, kept in a cage as a side-show attraction. He’s scared and been alone since his friend Vane was sold years before. His world’s turned topsy-turvy when strange men come and take him away. Roland’s clueless about what’s going on until he recognizes Vane and realizes he’s been rescued. He’s relieved that Vane’s gargoyle clutch offers him sanctuary, but is stunned to find that Tobias, an important member, claims they’re mates. The problem—Roland can’t sense their bond.

Tobias has waited decades for his mate and is shocked Roland denies their bond. When he learns why, he declares it unimportant and sets out to prove his devotion. Soon danger from Roland’s past returns and Tobias must protect him. Can he convince his wounded mate that they can make a life together and overcome any obstacle, if they do it together?

Coaxing His Skittish Lynx is the newest release in Charlie Richards’ series, A Paranormal’s Love.  This one starts immediately after the last left off, so the books should be read in order.

This is the first time I’ve read a book where one of a mate-bond pair has Roland’s problems. It’s a good premise and I applaud Ms. Richards for tackling the issue, even if I wish it had been dealt with more deeply.  Roland’s personality is pretty well crafted—he’s quiet, reserved and jumpy. I like this wounded man and while Tobias is what he needs in a mate, he’s also overbearing, bossy and highhanded. I appreciate that Tobias knew Roland needed to take a relationship slow but once it moved in that direction, it was full-steam ahead.  For this particular book, because of Roland’s issues and history, I could have done with less sex.

My overall impressions: The intriguing premise drew me to the story, the imagery is vivid, the pacing smooth, and I enjoyed how Ms. Richards wove in all the previous characters.  

My niggles: I was disappointed we missed the details of Roland’s actual rescue and wish it had been included. After having the problem for so many years, the issue that caused Roland’s mate-bond problem is resolved very quickly. The poor security on the clutch grounds. I never noticed it being an issue in the previous books and suddenly it is…what gives? 

Even so, that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy the story or don’t intend to read the next one…because I do. According to Ms. Richards’ website, it looks like the next one might be about a wolf shifter and a human. I like the sound of that. Look for it.

No comments: