Title: Changeling
Author: Barbara Geiger
Publisher: Loose Id
Publisher URL: http://www.loose-id.com
ISBN/BIN:
978-1-62300-813-0
Genre: {M/M} Paranormal
Series
Rating: 3 Nymphs
Reviewer: Dragon Minx
Matt will do anything to
provide for his little brother Sam, and the easiest way to make the money they
need to survive is selling himself. Between worrying about the money and
putting food on the table, he’s exhausted and looks it. Then he meets Kevin and
he has a little hope for the first time in years. But Matt’s also just agreed
to ‘trade’ services for Sam’s tuition at a private school. Life is a mess,
people who bother Matt are dying and the police are circling. Kevin is rich and
generous and seems a little too perfect, but that might be because he’s a Fae
prince. An even bigger surprise…it looks like Matt might be the missing Fae
King. He just doesn’t know it.
Changeling is the first release in the new series Middle Hill by Barbara Geiger. Please be aware of the BDSM content
before reading.
What do I say? I’m a
fan of paranormals and the blurb for this first release caught my attention. I
had high hopes. It seemed like a book I’d love but what I found instead was a
confusing story that I had difficulty following. The plot jumped all over the place, and there’s
lots of missing information, leaving me to piece together a world with too many
hidden motives to even begin to understand. That goes for the characters are
well. The author apparently didn’t want to reveal anything important in the
beginning, so there are gaping holes in the personalities and backgrounds of
the main characters since it all weaves together.
Be warned, I was still
totally confused about the plot, characters, what had happened and where the
story was going up to page 114… and this book is big. It’s a very long 362
pages, and I didn’t start to get a handle of what was happening and why until
I’d struggled through probably 175 pages. Then it started to make sense. At least more sense than before. By this
stage I had so much time invested that I wanted to see where it was going. Don’t get me wrong, the world building is
creative but the other issues just about negated them. The only thing that
saved the book for me was the last…maybe 75 pages. It’s here that things
finally start to come together and we get some answers, but there are still
dangling threads which I assume will be addressed in the next book. I
truthfully don’t consider this a romance…and I didn’t feel the chemistry
between Matt and Kevin. I did enjoy the protective them-against-the-world
relationship of the brothers.

No comments:
Post a Comment