Title: The
Blinding Light
Author: Renae Kaye
Publisher:
Dreamspinner Press
Publisher URL: www.dreamspinnerpress.com
ISBN/BIN:
978-1-62798-813-1
Genre: {M/M}
Contemporary
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs
Reviewer: Dragon Minx
Jake Manning’s been
caretaker of his siblings for years; he watches over their alcoholic mother and
is now paying off her debts. He can’t hold a job, either because of his sense
of rightness or inability to keep his mouth shut. When he applies for a
position as a housekeeper he’s desperate for money, even if his new boss,
Patrick Stanford, has already run off several other housekeepers.
Blind since birth,
Patrick is very particular about his home and can be rude if he doesn’t get his
way. He drives Jake crazy but there’s an attraction simmering just under the
surface that Jake can’t deny. As the months progress, so does their
relationship and during that time his family is getting their act together—and
then the bottom drop out again. Jake’s mother has another crisis and needs him.
Will Jake let Patrick help or will he pull away and handle his family problems alone?
The Blinding Light is the first book by Renae Kaye that I’ve read. It’s a fun
and entertaining look at two wounded men who are struggling with life and who
find that it can be much better together.
I really like these
guys and am happy their romance built slowly. In fact, Jake and Patrick didn’t
meet for several chapters. Instead, they communicated via computer generated notes,
which is still rather old-fashioned, even if they used a modern method. It’s a
twist I didn’t expect and I haven’t seen before. The personalities of Jake and Patrick are well
developed and give the reader a good feeling for their background and emotions.
Put them together and you wind up with a
cute, feel good story with lots of grins and a few chuckles. I loved how
Patrick didn’t let his blindness hold him back and Jake didn’t care about it
either. It didn’t define who Patrick was. There’s a steady pace throughout,
good descriptions, a solid plot and no dangling threads that I remember.
I also enjoyed the
secondary characters that were mostly Jake’s family. They really rounded out
the story, even if they are also my niggle. Jake sacrificed everything for his
family and they constantly took advantage of his love for them. He needed to
stand up for himself more.

No comments:
Post a Comment