Thursday, September 4, 2014

With This Ring, I Thee...Oh, Sh*t!

Author: Dane Waters
Publisher: Loose Id
Publisher URL:
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-62300-345-6
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx

Dean’s getting married. He just didn’t realize doing it in Texas would turn his level-headed fiancé into a bridezilla, complete with crazy friends and relatives. That’s especially true of his future father-in-law who’s rude, obnoxious and hates just about everyone. The only person Dean likes is Leo, his fiancé’s little brother, and he brings out all the feelings Dean thought long gone.

The night Leo was involved in a car wreck, he lost everything—his father’s love and his home at the family ranch. Now he’s been forced back for his sister’s wedding or their father will disinherit her. It’s a tricky situation filled with anger, distrust and hate. Then he meets Dean…and he likes him…too much. Helping Dean deal with his unexpected feelings for a man backfires, and suddenly Leo is in love for the first time.

Dane Waters, the author, is new to me, so her writing style was unknown when I decided to try this one. I started reading with an open mind but finished the last page with a lot of mixed feeling about With This Ring, I Thee...Oh, Sh*t! 

On reading the blurb I thought the story had promise but what I found is a well written story with a plot that didn’t work. Don’t get me wrong, the story is filled with good descriptions, has a quick pace, unique characters and an interesting setting. There’s even snappy dialogue and a little action with some of Leo’s crazy family, but I have a problem with the cheating part of the plot line. It’s not that I don’t like Leo and Dean together… I do. I just didn’t like how they became a couple. Considering Leo returned to the family ranch to protect his sister’s inheritance, his actions with her fiancé is underhanded and dishonest.  It just didn’t work for me. And the Texas family is too over-the-top nuts, angry and mean, making them seem unrealistic and unbelievable. 

No comments: