Monday, February 27, 2012


Title: Sub
Author: Susan Laine
Publisher: Siren-Bookstrand
Publisher’s URL:
ISBN: 1619261545
Genre: {M/M}, Contemporary, BDSM
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph 

David is the captain of a Los Angeles class nuclear submarine.  His easy-going manner and patience with those under his command have given him a reputation within the Navy as someone able to tame troublemakers.  Hunter Masters is his latest problem child, and it soon becomes clear that David has little to no control over what is going to happen. 

I have to be honest and say that I went back and forth about reviewing this book.  I am glad that, in the end, I took the chance on Ms. Laine’s book, Sub.  While there are several books out there with characters in the Navy, usually SEALS, this is the first book I have read that mainly takes place on a submarine.  David is not at all like the captains you see portrayed on TV.  The way he handled Hunter’s insubordination had me laughing at times.  Hunter is a young Lieutenant who would like to be anywhere but in the Navy.  Although his behavior is understood once readers learn about his father, Hunter comes across as a bit of a brat from the very beginning.  While it is not long before the men’s relationship grow into something more, this is the one point where I had a little trouble.  Granted, I have never been on a submarine but I would imagine that the behavior between the men would have been noted by one of the other crewmen.  This was really the only problem I had with the story, and it is one I did not let get in the way of my enjoying Sub.  The men’s relationship is the center of this story.  While the forbiddance of David and Hunter’s relationship may have been one of the factors for its intensity, their growing love soon overshadows everything else.    

Sub also has hints of BDSM woven through the story, but the dynamics are different from any other BDSM story I have read.  In most stories, the dominant and submissive characters are clearly drawn out.  In Sub, David and Hunter take turns being Dom and submissive.  While David is submissive sexually, Hunter is submissive emotionally and his need for David, at times, is heart-wrenching.  It is not long before the men’s relationship is made public and what happens next was not what I was expecting. 

Sub was a very entertaining read, one I had a hard time putting down.   I will be looking for more from this author in the future.

No comments: