Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Follow That Dress

Author:  Cherrie Mack
Publisher:  Liquid Silver
ISBN/BIN:  978-1-93176-129-1
Genre:  {M/F} Contemporary, Romantic Comedy
Rating:  4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer:  Amethyst Nymph

Crystal Manfreid’s life changed the day she ran into the rudest man she’d ever met.  Not being one to sugarcoat things, Crystal was quick to let him know exactly how she felt about him.  The man was stiffly conventional, cold and totally out of her league.  He challenged her independence and made her wonder about a future together, even though he’d sworn to her there was no future for them.

Robert Salinger is a man accustomed to getting what he wants and right now, he wants Crystal to get on board with his proposition.  She’s an unusual young woman with a certain kind of fire that Robert finds attractive.  What he needs now is someone who’s smart and unknown in his circle.  Once their arrangement was over, Robert and Crystal would go back to their own separate lives.  That’s what Robert kept telling Crystal.  Unfortunately, he was having a hard time accepting his own words. 

Crystal and Robert seem to have nothing in common, which creates some humorous moments.  There was no doubt that Robert needed Crystal in his life.  He’d become distant from life, even his own family.  Crystal gave him a jolt that let us see a more human side of Robert.  I wanted to see that in Robert.  Crystal also had a family history that had shaped her to be the strong person she was.  I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, but when it comes to matters of the heart, sometimes Crystal’s strength worked against her.  I understood Crystal and I found it easy to relate to her.  I think we all have a little Crystal in us.

Follow That Dress is an offbeat romance between two unlikely people who make the perfect odd couple.  I love romantic comedies and this one has some great lines and funny situations that left me giggling after I finished the story.  The moments I loved the most were when we find out that Robert isn’t as uppity as we think he is.  One in particular was when he picks up Crystal’s book and discovers what she’s reading.  But hands down, my favorite would be the night Robert meets Crystal’s sister.  I nearly laughed myself out of my chair.  Cherrie Mack obviously has a talent for creating romance from situations that are not the norm.  She made the couple’s differences work in a way that felt comfortable.  It made me excited to wonder if or when things would boil over.  This first installment of the Off the Rack series has hooked me and I can’t wait to see what happens next.  Readers, this one is a must-read.

No comments: