Title: Frozen Hearts
Author: Teegan Loy
Publisher: Silver
Publishing
Publisher URL: spsilverpublishing.com
ISBN/BIN: 9781614958925
Genre: {M/M}
Contemporary
Rating: 4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs
Reviewer: Dragon Minx
Erik Fox is a
champion hockey player but the game isn’t fun anymore. Knowing there’s no
chance with the guy he left behind when his parents forced him to change
schools while a teenager; Erik still hopes for a normal life. He anticipates
that quitting hockey will infuriate his father but not that it will precipitate
a fight that will leave him battered and bruised.
Back to being a full
time student, Erik’s shocked at how many people care that he’s left hockey
behind. What’s even more surprising is how many care that he’s gay and involved
with Tyce, his former high school lover, who is also a student on campus. Can
these two find a way to rebuild their trust while navigating through the
multitude of hostile people determined to keep them apart?
Frozen Hearts is the first book by Teegan Loy I’ve had the opportunity to
read and I’m glad I took a chance on it.
Others see Erik’s life
as perfect because of his hockey success but in reality, it’s a mess. That
means the story’s filled with plenty of angst and drama. Whether it’s family,
friends or strangers, there’s lot of pressure on Erik while he attempts to rebuild
his relationship with Tyce. I have to say, it makes for some pretty intense
moments and I commend Ms. Loy at how well she handles it.
I’m not a big sports
fan but I like Erik, Tyce and their story. The first paragraph caught my attention
and the hockey premise and well rounded personalities kept my interest until the
end. The pacing never flagged, the descriptions are vivid and there are some
nicely done flashbacks about their time together as teenagers. Secondary
characters are numerous and several are important, helping both men through the
rough times facing them.
Don’t let the serious
nature of this story scare you away. Yes, the situations Erik and Tyce face
will likely make you feel unsettled and maybe make you teary-eyed but there are
also some wonderful lighthearted moments too. So, if you enjoy intense, emotional
filled stories, then you should give Frozen
Hearts a try. I’d love to see a sequel featuring Tyce’s friend Sam,
sometime in the future. Hint. Hint.

No comments:
Post a Comment