Title: Soul
Restoration
Author: Carol Lynne
Publisher:
Total-E-Bound
Publisher URL: www.total-e-bound.com
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-78184-275-1
Genre: {M/M}
Contemporary Series
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs
Reviewer: Dragon Minx
Pete Braxton was
disowned by his father after he graduated from high school. It hasn’t been easy
but after years of hard work, he’s built a life for himself. Pete’s wanted to
reconcile with his brother but that hope is dashed when his brother dies. It’s
a shock to learn he’s inheriting the family fortune and the home they grew up
in. But an even bigger surprise is the condition of the house. His brother nearly
destroyed the interior and it needs to be restored, which requires a craftsman.
When Dylan Oliver
moves across country to restore Pete’s family mansion, he thought his time in Kansas City would be just
another job. He never expected the
instant attraction to the owner and he certainly didn’t expect to fall in love.
When the job’s finished, will he and Pete have enough reason to stay together
or will he return home?
Soul Restoration is the second release in Carol Lynne’s Brookside Athletic Club series but it can be read as a standalone.
I like this premise
and there are enough personal details on Pete and Dylan’s lives for me to know
that I like them both. Circumstances didn’t make life easy for either but they
still prospered and are upright, good men. Pete, inheriting the family home and
wanting it renovated, is the only way of getting Dylan into the story, since
they otherwise couldn’t have met. It’s a smooth transition, with enough vivid
details on the sad condition of the house to understand how much Dylan’s
needed.
There’s so much
potential in Soul Restoration, yet
portions just didn’t work for me. Please don’t forget that I do like these
guys—but after their immediate attraction/ sexual escapade, the story fell flat.
The only thing I can attribute the problem to at this point is the serious
overbalancing of the story in sex vs. plot. Yes, I got snippets of their
relationship but I didn’t feel like I really understood the basis of what made
them work as a couple. I’m a huge fan of Ms. Lynne but this one—well, I found
it disappointing, but I’ll still give the next one a try.

No comments:
Post a Comment