Title: The
Fight Within
Author: Andrew Grey
Publisher:
Dreamspinner Press
Publisher URL: www.dreamspinnerpress.com
ISBN/BIN:
978-1-62380-401-5
Genre: {M/M}
Contemporary Series
Rating: 4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs
Reviewer: Dragon Minx
When his fiancé died,
Bryce Morton was devastated. A year later, Bryce is still spending most of his
time alone and his friends, Jerry Lincoln and John Black Raven are worried. When
they finally convince him to accompany them on a camping trip to the Sioux
Reservation, they’re thrilled. Bryce doesn’t expect the trip to change his life
but that’s what happens when he meets Paytah Stillwater.
Paytah was abused as a
child, leaving him angry and withdrawn, and he doesn’t trust the motives of
outsiders. That means he and Bryce get off to a rocky start. It’s not until he
sees Bryce’s concern for the needy kids on the reservations that he begins to believe
that Bryce really cares. It’s all his heart needs to open up for the first time
in his adult life. When his abuser returns, putting the reservation boys in
danger, Paytah and Bryce must work together to stop him.
The Fight Within is the second release in Andrew Grey’s The Good Fight series. Since John and Jerry from the previous book
play important roles, the books should be read in order.
I’m always
apprehensive with second books in any series—even when they’re written by an
author I adore. I needn’t have worried, because the uber-talented Andrew Grey
has wowed me again with his love story, set amongst the harsh life on a Native
American Indian Reservation. The rich details
of Indian culture make the world of the native peoples come alive. On the other
hand, the blatant issues of financial mismanagement, poverty and the lack of
hope suffered by those same people infuriate me because I know it’s an active
problem. I applaud Mr. Grey for tackling such weighty issues because he handles
it with skill, care and sensitivity—and does it well.
There’s a lot going on
in this story. Bryce is dealing with the death of his fiancé and is angry and
depressed. Paytah’s had years of fear, anger and dealing with the aftermath of
being abused. These two are great characters and Mr. Grey’s done a wonderful
job developing their personalities. Getting them together seemed impossible at
first but it’s done in a believable manner.
As you can guess there
are plenty of subplots. I’m happy to say they flow smoothly into the main one
without hindering the pace. The emotions of Bryce and Paytah are intense but
don’t expect an excessive amount of sex—remember Paytah’s abusive past. No more
rambling. I enjoyed this release and I’m looking forward to the next one. If
you enjoy non-fluffy books that make you think and feel, I suggest you give
this series a try.

No comments:
Post a Comment